Sunday, February 1, 2009

My MVP


Today was a breakthrough day for Cole... a day Pat and I have been working toward and wanting for nearly five years. 

Last night the boys spent the night at my parent's house so we could have a night out. We had a great time. I called my parents early this morning to see how the night went (even though nights at either of the grandparents always go well). My dad informed me that right before bed, Cole told Grandpa that he was going to wear undies to bed; just like Connor. If you recall, about six weeks ago I made homemade John Deere undies for Cole and he only wore them for about one hour at grandpa's house. For some reason, last night something clicked for Cole. Sure enough, he put on his John Deere undies and wore them to bed. When he woke up, he still wanted the underwear on. I couldn't believe what my dad was telling me! What great progress. 

I picked up the boys and brought them home. I thought for sure Cole would change out of his underwear right when we got home, like he did last time. We were almost home and Cole started talking about how "The garbage man took Cole's Pull-ups and that he was going to go poo-poo in the potty and wear undies later." He went on to talk about how baby Ethan goes poop in his diaper, "but that's ok, he's little", Cole said. We got home and I crossed my fingers. 

I was unloading some things I got from Target and Cole asked me to switch the paper towel roll. He loves to do this but I knew we just put a new roll out the other day. A minute later, Cole came up to me and said, "Where's the toilet paper? Need to switch toilet paper?"  I got it, he wanted to go to the bathroom, but there was no toilet paper!!  I showed him where it was, we put a new roll on and he closed the door for privacy. When he was done, I wasn't sure if he would continue to wear the undies. Sure enough, he did. And he wore them all night long. He didn't have any accidents and acted as if he'd been wearing them for years.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to convince him to change his undies and wear them tomorrow as well. Regardless of the outcome, today was a huge step for Cole-kind. I can't tell you how many times I've told myself that potty training and underwear were something Cole might never do. 

I don't care if that guy made a great catch late in the Super Bowl today.... I think, hands down, Cole deserves the MVP Award. 

And Connor deserves one too. We were at Pat's sister's house for a Super Bowl party. Connor was having a blast playing with his cousins. Cole did great, but after a few hours, his patience wore thin and we had to leave early. This is always hard on Connor. When we got home, Connor told Pat, "Daddy when you told me it was time to leave, I tried very hard and I didn't cry this time." Connor deserves the MVB (Most Valuable Brother). I think we could search the world over and never find a better brother for Cole. 


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You always bring tears to my eyes. What a great brother Connor is.

Abby Clark said...

Shannon, I love reading your blogs. You truly are an amazing mother! You deserve the MVM (most valuable mother ) award!

Sarahrae said...

Oh Shannon, my eyes are shinning with tears, what sweet and amazing boys you have!