Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cole and his tunes


There is no other way to say it, Cole is one neat kid. No matter how often Pat and I are frustrated and frazzled, we more often find ourselves looking at him in awe, with amazement and pride. Cole is Cole and we love him so much for that. There are countless Cole-isms... if you follow this blog, you'll them as we go. What is just as amazing is to see how Connor catches on to these things. He has taken on the role of being Cole's big brother and chief watch dog, even though he's two years his junior. They are quite the pair and thank God they have each other. 

Cole has always loved music, but Connor has amplified that (no pun intended). Connor knows his way around iTunes better than I do. He knows the words to countless songs; mostly rock-n-roll. He sings with pride and even told me recently, "I sing so good mom. And I didn't even have to take lessons." You go buddy.  

Cole thinks the world of Connor and wants to do whatever he is doing. Now that the cold months are settling in and we are not outside as much, the boys have really been into music. They sit at our desk, sitting one behind the other in the same chair, singing songs, laughing and sometimes arguing over what song to play. It took about one sitting and Cole now can navigate his way on iTunes. I get such a kick out of him. He listens intently and sings just like we all do. Cole made me laugh tonight. He was listening to Joan Jett's, "I love rock-n-roll" and in it she shouts "oooowwww". Cole looked at me and said, "She's going to say ow (as in ouch)". He totally didn't get the context! Then again, his brother sings, "put another dime in the juice box baby".

He has quite the taste in music.... here are some of his favorites:
Makes Me Wonder- Maroon 5 (he sings it "you don't have a freezer")
I'm Yours 
Barbara Ann
Brass Monkey; yes the Beastie Boys
Anything by Johnny Cash

Music brings so many things to so many people. I'm so happy Cole enjoys music, just like any other little boy. Wait until the boys get Rock Band Wii for Christmas... that will be fun to blog about!!! Watch out Jonas Brothers, the Schusted Brothers are some tough competition.

 

3 comments:

Denny said...

How great is that! The intensity of really being alive! One day your sad and the next your singing like a bird!

Unknown said...

Shannon their changed lyrics had me laughing out loud! ...Connor about the juice box and then Cole's literal understanding applied to music. I know someday they'll read this blog and get a huge kick out of it.

Katie said...

haha I'm convinced the whole Schusted/Gillispie clan is going to start a band! Its just a matter of whose garage will become the practice space! Listening to music with all the boys is my favorite thing to do! The excitement and joy that music brings to everyone is a true gift.