Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cole's school project

Cole had his first EVER homework assignment last night! At school, he decorated an "All About Me" box. He put construction paper, glitter and all sorts of drawings on it. He task was to put things that he likes inside the box so he can show and tell about it at school today.

So we found a small John Deere tractor, put a chocolate chip cookie in a baggie, added in the empty Toy Story 3 DVD case and an empty package of "pink gum". I decided there are so many more things Cole loves that just wouldn't fit inside the box. So I went to google images and our photo library to put together a small collage of just some of the things Cole likes: bonfires, his green razor scooter, Nick Universe, a picture of him tubing and playing at the beach, an iTouch, a picture from a play date with his best friend, Marc, YouTube (a favorite pastime for Cole!), his team hockey photo and pictures of him at the Noble Farm and driving a pontoon boat.

I printed out the collage and Cole saw it. He was SUPER excited and rattled off everything on the page. Pat and I looked at one another, happy and so proud- for SO many reasons.

Most of all, because Cole has so many things he loves in life. He is such a happy fella and knows what makes him happy in life. This didn't come easy for him. It has taken countless hours of ABA therapy and hard work for Cole to learn how to enjoy age-appropriate activities. Just two short years ago, Cole was newly potty trained and still liked to watch Baby Mozart DVDs. Now we are able to reason with him and tell him he's too old for them. He knows that big kids don't wear diapers and they don't watch baby movies. He has learned to play his Nintendo DS and he navigates both the iMac and iTouch with ease. When kids come over to play, he can hang with them and play the Wii or other fun stuff. Up until the last 18 months, we never had kids over the play unless Cole wasn't home. Now THAT is progress.

Progress is not all about Cole learning to read, looking at me in the eye or learning not to make funny sounds at inappropriate times. It's also about him enjoying life and being happy. As his mom, that is what I care about most. I love that every single morning, he asks me to snuggle and "get my neckie". Even thought he's ten, he still lets him shower him with countless kisses and hugs every single day. Cole tells me all throughout the day that he loves me. He tells us he will miss us and always wants to know where Connor is at and when he's going to be home. He loves to have Pat wrestle and tickle him. The sound of his belly laugh is the best.

I love hearing him laugh at YouTube, or now even ask me to come in so he can show me the cool lawn tractor video he found. Just last night he called me in to show me a video. He said, "Watch Mom, they will get the Toro started. It will start soon." The tractor back-fired and Cole laughed and laughed and laughed! I love to see the boys snuggle on our big bed, ask for popcorn and lay together to watch a movie. A movie they BOTH enjoy. I love that Cole wants to help our neighbors mow their lawn- even if at times, he tries to do it when they are enjoying dinner on their deck. He knows their tractor is broken and he has saved them many hours by helping them out. I love that Cole can knows who sings songs on the radio. He hears one note and can tell me who the artist is. If he likes the song, he'll ask me to put it on his iTouch. His favorites come and go but he can always tell us what he wants to hear. And I love that for the first summer EVER, Cole wore shorts all summer long. He finally understands that it's more comfortable to wear shorts when it's warm and sunny. Now we're actually having a challenge to get him back to wearing jeans.... we never thought that would happen!

I could go on and on with things I love about Cole. And I could have added many more things to Cole's "What I Like" list. But there was a time when I couldn't write about all of this progress and I wouldn't have had many things to put on that list. As parents, Pat and I were simply overcome with pride last night as we listened to Cole chat about all of the things he loves, us included.

We are so blessed.

No comments: