Monday, September 14, 2009

A few surprises






Some people like surprises and some don't. I've really grown to love them, especially when they come from Cole. He threw a few our way this past week and I can't resist sharing them.

As most of you who know, dental visits are incredibly difficult for us. Cole is deathly afraid of the dentist. In the past, we've had to secure him in a Velcroe straight jacket and hold him down. We've tried medication to calm him. It got to the point where we could not even drive on the street that led to the dentist office.

Thankfully, Fraser Academy gave me the contact information for a dentist used by one of their students. Dr King has been a huge blessing for us. The first time we took Cole to his office, his hygentist, Marlene, was like an angel. She has a special room of her own where she spends most of her day working with kids like Cole. Cole got to perform all of the teeth cleaning tasks on a teddy bear. He LOVED it. At that visit, the dentist got to take a quick peek at Cole's teeth but that was it. It was determined that Cole would need to be put under to get a full examination and for any necessary repairs. I blogged about that a few months back.

Last week it was time for Cole's 6 month check up. He was resisting the dentist appointment until I reminded him about the teddy bear. At that point, Cole was amused with excitement. We drove to the office and he was giddy. He walked into Marlene's office and worked with her to perform the teeth cleaning procedure on the bear. Cole did everything. He got to give the bear a ride, choose how the lights were going to be, turn on some music and even use the polisher. Then it was Cole's turn. Surprisingly, he sat right down in the chair and let Marlene count all of his teeth!! After that, he needed a break and wanted to work some more on the bear. Marlene asked if she could polish Cole's teeth. You could really see the anxiety mounting. She saw it and said, "How about we polish 1 tooth of yours Cole." Cole looked at her and said, pointing to his front tooth, "This one.". He sat in the chair and she did just that. Then it was the dentist's turn. Cole actually let the dentist look in his mouth for a good minute. I couldn't believe it! It doesn't seem like a lot, but that is a huge success. As my Mom always says, "He just has a way of surprising you!"

The next surprise came this past weekend. Connor had his first flag football game. Pat is the coach so he had to be there. Last year, I had PCA staff set up for each game. This year, I couldn't get staff for every game. I decided I would try to take Cole to the game. Knowing all to well that I might end up chasing him off the field and carrying him to the car while kicking and screaming. I made sure my Dad was going to be there to help, just in case.

We got in the car and headed to the game about 20 minutes after it was supposed to start. I called my dad on the way who said the game hadn't started yet. We stalled a little by getting gas and then made our way to the field. Cole blew me away! He sat so incredibly well at the game that I still can't believe it. He was like every other little kid there. He sat nicely and watched, sometimes played with his sand toys and other times climbed on my lap for a snuggle. I was so proud. I wish there was another word because proud is quite the understatement. Cole was so well-behaved that I called the PCA and asked her if we could meet 20 minutes later than scheduled. He was doing THAT good!!

I love it when he surprises me like that. It makes me so proud, especially when I look back on the experiences we've had in the past. Cole is progressing, there is no doubt about it. I'm so thankful, as it gives me something to hold onto in the really difficult times (like when he kicked in the control system in the back of our Tahoe on Saturday night).

Thanks for the surprises Cole... keep em' coming!! We love you so VERY much.

No comments: